Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I am currently in dispute with a car dealer, from whom I purchased

I am currently in dispute with a car dealer, from whom I purchased a car 20 months ago. It turns out that this vehicle was mis-represented and as a result has just cost me a £700 reduction in part exchange. This dealer has offered £300 as that is what they consider the difference in value should have been. I believe as they are liable to compensate me for any loss as a result of their breech of contract? Regardless of agreeing with the amount? Is it worth engaging a lawyer for this claim and include these costs in the compensation claim?
Dale Craven
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Do they accept that there was a misrepresentation?

Customer:

Yes. I have 2 e-mail admitting that there was an error when they transfered the car from new stock to used stock which resulted in it being incorrectly coded.

taratill :

Ok so when you were looking at part exchange did you get more than one quote as to the value?

Customer:

No. At the time I was oblivious to the discrepancy. The garage I was buying the new vehicle from were unable to confirm that my car was what I was stating it was, I was convinced that on checking the V5 at home I would be able to resolve the issue. On checking was when I knew there had been an error, but I had already placed a deposit on my new vehicle, which I have now picked and exchanged.

taratill :

Ok thanks, ***** ***** case you should be able to recover the entire loss. If you have home insurance it should contain legal expenses insurance which may be worth pursing if you want assistance with your claim. Failing that any high street litigation solicitor will be able to assist you with it.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my asnwer.

Customer:

Is it worth engaging a lawyer for this amount? Are the legal costs recoverable?

taratill :

I would check your household insurance first. It is unlikely you would be able to recover all of your legal costs given the sum. If you do not have insurance then contact trading standards to log the dispute and ask for a reference number. You then need to write to them giving them 7 days to pay the full amount you have lost and say that if they do not you will bring a claim in the small claims court. You will be able to do so on the website on this link https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome