75100385

I have received a letter today from the local council telling

I have received a letter today from the local council telling me that my working tax credit has been miscalculated over the last 3 years and that I owe them £1000 in council tax which they will take from my bank account this month! I explained that I am a single mother and have only been working full time for 3 months and that i cannot pay this without time. They tell me that they are not interested and I have to pay now.
There is also a question of £7000 owing to the Revenue.
Can I ask for time to pay? There was no intention to underpay or to defraud, what can I do?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether they say it was their error or you failed to disclose something?

Customer:

They say it is my error

Alex Watts :

Did you not declare something?

Customer:

They say I underdeclared something to do with my working tax credit but i dont know what at the moment

Alex Watts :

Have you had a new calculation?

Customer:

by the way the amounts i showed before were wrong in fact they want £2000 Council tax and £8000 income tax. This is the new calculation

Alex Watts :

Ok - do you accept the new calculation is right or wrong?

Customer:

there are pages and pages which we haven't looked through yet and don't really understand but I am worried about the Council taking this amount out of my account before I have checked it out

Alex Watts :

Ok -you should write straight away and say you want to appeal.

Alex Watts :

That should stop the process and you can always cancel the appeal if it is right

Alex Watts :

You should also write and ask them NOT to take the money from your account

Alex Watts :

They can ONLY take it if you have set up a direct debit. Without a direct debit they can not just take it, so check with your bank

Alex Watts :

In any event repayments are usually around £10 a week, so they would not normally want £1000

Alex Watts :

But without a direct debit on your account they can NOT take any money

Alex Watts :

So check with your bank

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I do have a direct debit with them but if i cancel it now will that be OK as i have told them about the appeal (or I could change it to a standing order and pay what i know i should pay every month?

Alex Watts :

Yes you should cancel and you need to put an appeal in WRITING

Alex Watts :

So do that today

Customer:

OK thanks I'll do that today

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Should I take this to the Citizens Advice?

Alex Watts :

You can and they can assess to see whether the tax credits are correct for you

Alex Watts :

They may also be able to assist you with an appeal if appropriate

Customer:

Can they evict me whilst I have an appeal in place?

Alex Watts :

No, you do not need to worry about that at this stage

Customer:

Thanks that's all

Alex Watts :

But yes, you can ask for time to pay, usually £10 a week

Alex Watts :

Great. Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

that's all thanks

Alex Watts :

Good. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go - the button should be at the bottom of the screen

Alex Watts :

If you need more help please click reply

Alex Watts :

Good luck with this.

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience