12826847

We have been staying in a hotel for a number of weeks due to

Customer Question

We have been staying in a hotel for a number of weeks due to our house being renovated.
The hotel - a well known chain - have bee debiting my bank account at will (approx. £12,000, without first producing a bill so that it can be checked. On asking yet again, I was presented with a fifteen page, messy (pages & pages of taxes), list going back to September, and numerous items stood out as incorrect: breakfasts/beverages we hadn't had (as ours included) + mark-ups on the room rates ranging from £125.00 to £260, £300 per evening (it is at Chelsea football ground, and I can only think it's when they were at their busiest, as I took my daughter and nephew to one of the matches). We have been there so long, it was agreed that we would have a flat rate of £150.00.
Firstly, if I left card details with them in lieu of any sundries, are they allowed to take money out at will - I have noticed over the past few days, they have taken so much out so often, it is difficult for me to keep track of how much I should have paid in relation to what I have paid + I've been paying for services over & above. They, of course, haven't produced any receipts for monies taken.
Most sincerely
V Evans
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Did you sign a written agreement with the hotel agreeing the flat rate of £150? Was your card authorised to a certain amount before moving into the hotel?
How much do you think they have over charged you by?
AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Alex

In answer to your response:

- no written agreement was signed with the hotel re. the flat rate

- card was authorised as guarantee against sundries, but not for them to take monies without my first checking bills. I expect to check the bill, bring up any discrepancies, then pay the bill myself as opposed to the hotel taking the payment automatically when a bill hasn't been presented.

Further, early on in our stay I was told that the room-rate would go up one evening due to high demand, and as we didn't want to change rooms/leave I agreed, but there is no record of my having been told the rates could fluctuate to such a degree, and again, until a flat rate was set in motion, they seem to have been going up and down at will without anyone being in contact.

Sincerely

V Evans

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an email at least that confirms the flat rate of £150?
Do you have a copy of the bill of sundries?
AJ