How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

Dear solicitor, My name is***** came on 23.August 2014.

Resolved Question:

Dear solicitor,
My name is***** came on 23.August 2014. from Croatia as an Au Pair. I will go home next month, and I'm planing to return 4. January 2015. I wanna be self-employed but my first application for NI number was rejected. I reapplied again, and I'm waiting for an answer. Lady told me I need more invoices from other clients. I know there are some restrictions for Croatian citizens but I'm not sure that I can have other clients. I'm living with my host family, baby siting, cooking, cleaning.
I called my embassy. They told me to go to Immigration office.
I was at the immigration office 29.10.2014. They told me I do not need residence permit, and I can stay.
But yesterday my AuPair agency told me I need to go home because I do not have NI number and host family can pay a fine. Lady from agency upset me.
My friend who came with me suggested me that maybe we can applied to be self sufficient.
I'm confused and lost in these regulations.
Can You gave me an advice?
Thank You.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Can you confirm if you are able to obtain NI?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My agency in UK told me I will be able to get NI number but it is not simple. I do not know why. At Job Centre they told me I need more documents. I'm confused.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You can apply for NI but yes the job centre would need to ensure that you are self employed to issue you with NI, they should issue it but yes it may take time.
Regarding being self employed you should apply for a yellow certificate confirming that you are self employed. Please see the following link:
You can also be self sufficient but need to get private comprehensive health insurance or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and also evidence that you are able to support yourself or someone is supporting you with money, food etc. You can then use this evidence to apply for a yellow card too. You can apply using the above link.
I hope this answers your question. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you