Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My small business has had contracts terminated on a few property

My small business has had contracts terminated on a few property sites with immediate effect and without any reason from One Property management company. i have had cashflow problems with this company since the start of 2011, all recorded! i have saved emails with lies on payment times and also recorded some phone calls and even used a spy camera to speak to somebody in Head office accounts. i have quite a bit of evidence of very late payment etc. And feel all work has been terminated due to us constantly asking for payment. (without reason too). I feel that i have suffered and been dealt with very badly over these recent years. And as a result my business has suffered.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Are you just seeking to be paid your unpaid invoices?
Have you suffered any other losses as a result of the termination? Does the contract allow this company to terminate?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am seeking payment, but they always pay eventually! Some times taking 3,4,5,6 Months + to pay. As a result they have slowed down my operations due to cash flow, not being able to fund new ventures. About 90% of my work was with this company and i had 5 employees including myself, but with the recent terminations all were laid off. And all the time i have to pay for machinery i have purchased on finance etc. Most of the work was a verbal contract on different propertys, but the biggest Site was under written contract (by their request early this year) the contract stated a 3 Month notice period by either my company or them. But as i say contract was terminated with immediate effect (no reason) and by email. This particular site had a turnover of £70,000 per year to my company.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Without a written contract all you can do is claim for the unpaid monies and any damages you have suffered as a direct result of their failure to give three months notice.
The bot***** *****ne is there was not written agreement and therefore you cannot sue them for lost business as a result of the breach of contract.
How much would you have earned in the 3 month notice period?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi AJ, this particular site with the written contract would have earned £17,500 approx. in 3 Months! Thanks, Karl
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
You would be entitled to claim damages to the sum of £17,500 if that is an estimate of your loss as a result of their failure to give three months notice.
Failing to give three months notice, if that is what was required, is a contractual term, then they have breached that. You are entitled to claim any losses that are a naturally occurring consequence of that breach.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just a quick question. Can you please advise me on the type of lawyer I need to contact to start claim proceedings? Many thanks agin, Karl
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
You need a solicitor who specializes in county court claims and civil litigation. This matter wont go to the High Court because of the value of the claim.
If you contact the Law Society they will be able to recommend a solicitor local to you. solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/
Can I assist any further?
AJ