12826847

In Scotland does a dogs microchip PROVE ownership?

Customer Question

A microchip per se does not prove ownership conclusively anywhere in the UK. It is not like deeds to the house.
However, it is a piece of evidence that can be sufficient to support a claim of ownership. Courts will look at other things like who purchased the dog, who looks after him on a daily basis.
All a microchip amounts to is that a person was registered at the time the chip was implanted. It could be a pure error at the database. That is rare but obviously sometimes people rehome dogs and forget to update the chip. Sometimes dogs are chipped twice.