Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Hello I am about to trademark my logo and tagline,What

I am about to trademark my logo and tagline,What is the difference between a CTM(Community trademark)For the entire EU And a UK trademark application Application?
Alan
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

Alex J. :

The main difference between the two is what they denote.

Alex J. :

A CTM uses the Madrid Protocol register a Mark in multiple jurisdictions. A UK mark is only applicable to the UK.

Alex J. :

What this means is that, Trade Mark is used to identify trade origin. If you are only trading in the United Kingdom, then you only need to protect your mark in the UK. If you are trading in multiple jurisdictions then you may wish to consider a CTM which is more expensive.

Alex J. :

Having customers from abroad buy from a UK registered website, does not denote a trade presence in other countries. A presence would be if you were actively marketing and building goodwill in your mark in another jurisidiciton.

Alex J. :

*Jurisdiction.

Alex J. :

Would you like to discuss this further?

Alex J. :

Kind regards AJ

Customer:

Can I register my tagline and logo with one application or should they be protected seperate

Alex J. :

Hi, Thank you. It depends how they are going to be seen. In ideal world you would register them separately and together if that is how you intend to use them.

Customer:

Thats great many thanks.

Alex J. :

If you have not built up good will in the logo yet, then start by registering them together.

Customer:

Will do .

Alex J. :

If you need further protection at a later date because the slogan becomes well known on its own, then you can submit a further application.

Customer:

Ok great .I will proceed on that basis