12826847

How do I go about getting help and advice on how to get grant

How do I go about getting help and advice on how to get grant and representation form also probate I haven't got a clue where to begin I am an only child my dad presently passed leaving a house any help would be appreciated.

Do you have the will? Are you named executor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No will

Is your mother still alive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

If your father left the house and substantial assets (over £20,000) then you are going to need to apply to the Probate Registry for Letters of administration. The government have produced a few webpages which will guide you through the process. If you follow this link it will take you to the government website pages.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/overview

If there is no will then the estate passes under the rules of intestacy. If your mother is no longer alive then the estate passes in total to you.

That is a standard formality. Once you have the grant of probate/letters of administration, that is the authority that you will need to transfer the house, bank account contents and other assets into your name.

If you feel competent, there is is no reason why you cannot do this yourself or you can always instruct a solicitor to deal with the application for you. It is a relatively straightforward process but, if solicitors are not doing it for you, you will be required to attend an interview at the Probate Registry.