Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My wife came to the UK in 2006 from Poland, she left behind

My wife came to the UK in 2006 from Poland, she left behind her some debts to financial institutions of around £1000.
She is now worried that she will be a "wanted" woman in Poland and is scared to return to visit family.
Is there any way to find out if she is being pursued for the debt
She registered in the UK when she arrived we have been married for 6 years she holds a UK bank account and has taken credit for goods and services since being here
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Has your wife ever received a demand for these debts in the last 6 years?
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have not been contacted in the UK and we are not aware of any efforts to contact her via family in Poland

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
In the UK any creditor would be statute barred from making a claim for this money in UK court as more than 6 years have passed without a demand for the money.
If she has no assets in Poland, then they are unlikely to have commenced proceedings. The only risk is that they may have made her bankrupt, but this seems unlikely for a sum of £1000. Are the debts from Credit Cards?
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has a 25% stake in a family property in Poland, there are 2 credit cards but the main debt is to Provident finance

Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 years ago.
Then limitation period for a debt in Poland I believe is 2 years for obtaining a Judgement and Ten years from Judgment.
Personally unless there is some pressing reasons to find out, I would let this lie for the next couple of years until you are certain that the limitation periods have expired. She knows she cannot be pursued in the UK.
If your wife really wants to make inquiries, she should speak to a Polish lawyer and ask the lawyer to make the inquiries as discreetly as possible.
I look forward to hearing from you.
AJ