LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was recently a juror on a criminal trial. The defendant

I was recently a juror on a criminal trial.
The defendant was being charged on 6 counts including the options of GBH with intent and GBH.
Of the 12 jurors I was alone in thinking the defendant not guilty on GBH with intent. As I knew we needed to reach a unanimous decision I decided that if 11 people felt differently to me I would go with their view.
I now deeply regret that decision as I still feel the evidence wasn't sufficient to convict on GBH with intent. I don't know whether, had we gone back to the judge saying it was 11 to 1 in favour of conviction, he would have gone with the majority or used his discretion to convict on the lesser count of GBH.
I'm very personally troubled by this outcome. I assume there is nothing I can do but it has made me reflect on the jury process and wonder if there should be an anonymous vote at the end of discussions which is provided to the judge. It's very difficult to be the only juror holding a different view and to maintain that view in the closeted space of the jury room.
I suspect there is no advice you can provide or any course of action I can take but if there is I would appreciate your thoughts.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Just a first point it is illegal to discuss your jury deliberations with anyone outside the jury room so I will will talk in generalities here.

LondonlawyerJ :

Initially the Judge will only accept a unanimous verdict but after a while he will tell the jury that he will accept a majority verdict. That is a majority of 10-2. The likelihood is that if a juror is alone in his view on any verdict and the rest of the jury are settled in their opinion all they can do by holding out is delay the verdict by a few hours.

Customer:

Thank you. That's reassuring to know. I fully understand that I cannot discuss details with you so appreciate you taking the time to reply in a general sense.