Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Hi. I run a hairdressing business and had employed an apprentice

Customer Question

Hi. I run a hairdressing business and had employed an apprentice for 3 years paying 130 per week for 35 hours. Her attitude and behaviours have become intolerable and I've spoken to her a lot over the last 6 months around this. She has just finished her course and demanded a rise to 180.00 which I guess is minimum and I refused saying I would pay 150 and would give her an 8 week blow drying course to get her to the required standard I needed for the paying customers and then by march pay 180 when I was happy with her performance. She's refused and then we parted ways yesterday. Where do I stand as she's sent me a recorded delivery letter asking if she was made redundant or what grounds her dismissal was ? I'm struggling to know what rights I have or whether I need uptake legal advice ?
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How did the termination come about did she resign or did you dismiss her?

JACUSTOMER-rz1f5ypy- : Dismissed her. We both agreed we couldn't work together. I said that she needed to change her face and be happy with clients. She said I didn't pay her enough to smile. Customers have been complaining. I didn't actually say she was dismissed. I just said I don't think we can work together and she said well I can't work with you. I said it's best if we part and she walked out.
JACUSTOMER-rz1f5ypy- : Please can you answer my questions. I've paid money and not actually got any proper response. Thks
taratill :

sorry for the delay I was offline over most of the weekend. Did she have a written apprenticeship contract?

JACUSTOMER-rz1f5ypy- : The contract is with myself and the college. That has come to an end now.
JACUSTOMER-rz1f5ypy- : Can I have an answer to my questions please ?