75100385

A good friend of mine is a councillor and has had her motion

Customer Question

A good friend of mine is a councillor and has had her motion voted in by the local council.
The final amended motion that was passed, asks for a review of whether landlords of student accommodation blocks should pay council tax or business rates.
The local Student Union has reacted against the motion, saying that these new costs to landlords would probably be transferred to the student tenants via increased rents. However no councillor wants that, so there has been talk of charging landlords but with rent caps in place to protect the students.
The Student Union, trying to mobilise students, have been saying that: "A motion was recently passed at a B&NES Council meeting proposing that students pay council tax." This is a false claim. The Student Union have been told that it is false, but they go on making this claim in their newsletter and on their Facebook page.
They couple this false claim with references to my friend the councillor, making her look bad and undermining her chances of re-election as there are a lot of students in her ward.
I am very angry about this. Is there anything that I can do legally? If I could, I would sue, because the students know they are not telling the truth.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

There is very little you personally can do as this is a matter between the Councillor and the Council.

Alex Watts :

The Councillor would have to sue the Council.

Alex Watts :

However what you can do is complain to the Chief Officer of the Council.

Alex Watts :

If you get a respond from that department and you are not happy you can go to the Local Government Ombudsman

Alex Watts :

They offer free independent service and can investigate your complaint. Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk

Alex Watts :

But your friend has more standing to bring a complaint than you

Alex Watts :

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/