Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

mum died 2 yrs ago and all outstanding money owed was paid

mum died 2 yrs ago and all outstanding money owed was paid out of her estate by her solicitor,all except one,the funeral costs.This however was paid with money from an old halifax account mum had which my sister was the second signature on,cost of funeral was about £7500,account contained about £14000,as a family we agreed any money left over she could have for her child as a nest egg,i have just received a county court letter saying i now owe a third of the funeral costs and have 14 days to reply,my other sister is backing her mainly down the fact mum left me a bigger amount in her will as a thank you for being her live in carer for 8yrs,the other two did very little,hope you can advise,many thanks for your time
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Could you please clarify if the funeral was indeed paid from the Halifax account?

Was the account in joint names of your Mum and sister, or was your sister just authorised to use the account by your Mum?

I take it that the letter you have received is from your sister threatening you with Court action?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,it was mums account,sister was just second signature,account was closed and my sister was sent a cheque for 14000,funeral was paid for using some of this money,the rest after any bits and bobs were sorted was to my knowledge put into a nest egg for her boy as agreed,the letter i received yesterday was a claim form from hastings county court wanting a third of funeral costs,thanks lyn

Thanks for clarifying the position.

Well, as the funeral was paid out of your Mother's account (as is the norm), that is the end of the story. You are therefore not liable in law to contribute anything towards the funeral,full stop and your sister does not have any success in pursuing you on the information you have provided me with.

I hope this puts yor mind at rest and assists.

Kind Regards

AL