LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi, I fell into a trench on friday which had just been dug

Hi, I fell into a trench on friday which had just been dug for cables/piping. There were no barriers up preventing or warning me although it followed a line of workings. The workmen on site have claimed there were barriers although these were placed while i was stuck in trench. I went to A&E the following morning (yesterday) and need to go back Monday to see if I need to have fluid drained fro a knee injury. I hurt my knee, thumb and back although the knee seems to be the worst effected. Although I a hoping they are short lived injuries i am worried about any long term problems as my job relies on my physical fitness. I phoned the site manager up to see if he had reported it which is when I found they have not told the truth about circumstances. I can recall in detail the event and even when they were putting the barriers back while I was still in trench. Should I pursue the issue? If so what should I do next

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Where was the trench? Was it on the street? Also how badly injured are you?

LondonlawyerJ :

I will be away for this site for some of today but will look back later.

Customer:

Ok, It was on the public pavement. I cannot walk without pain and a lot of discomfort due to knee injury. The doctor told me to rest otherwise it would create more fliud. It is just fluid but am worried about any long term affects. I also have an injury to my thumb which was bent back and will be x-rayed if still swollen when I go back on Monday. I may lose up to £1000 bonus at work in short term as it is impossible to work as my job involves me getting in and out of a car about 50 times a day. I am not interested in any massive payout just out of pocket and if there were any long term problems which I am hoping not.

LondonlawyerJ :

If there was a trench on the public street without any barriers then you are very likely to have a good claim against the company doing the digging. If the trench is still there get some picytiires taken. When did the accident happen? It would be a good idea to write out a detailed note of what happened before during and after the accident. Many firms will take on this kind of work on a now win now fee basis.

Customer:

It happened at about 5.30pm when it was dark and the lighting in street was poor. My main concern is the workmen not telling the truth and there were about 3 of them.

LondonlawyerJ :

You can not control whether they lie or not but based on what you say you seem to have a valid claim.