12826847

Hi my son has just been sent to prison for a short sentence.

Hi my son has just been sent to prison for a short sentence. He is on the point of buying a house. Can he sign the contract whilst he is in prison?
Yes, there is no reason why he cannot. He is still perfectly free to contract in prison unless, of course, he cannot make payment for instance.
The fact that he is elsewhere at the moment will not interest the mortgage company unless their contract is affected.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

Thanks for your answer. Just a couple of things please.

• Is it mandatory that the contract is signed in the presence of the solicitor?

• When his wife visits him is she allowed to pass the paperwork to be signed to him and for him to sign it and pass it back?

If a solicitor is witnessing the signature then he will want it done in his presence. But he can attend prison to do that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo

Just to clarify.

• There is no requirement to attend the solicitor's office for signing.

• The contract can be signed by my son and his wife during visiting at the prison provided there is an acceptable person to witness their signatures.

No.
The solicitor can visit him in prison for him to sign in the solicitor's presence.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am still not clear.

Could you please respond to my second bullet. Does the contract have to be signed in the presence of a solicitor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can it be signed and witnessed by a suitable person other than a solicitor?

I suppose any legal document could, in principle, be witnessed by anybody.
But to exchange on this contract it might well be required by the mortgage company that it is done in the presence of his solicitor.