We have had problems with rats, amongst other things

Customer Question

We have had problems with rats, amongst other things, chewing through electric power point cables resulting in a need for partial/full rewiring. Our insurance company, Lloyds (through Saga) - Premier Cover, have said "they cover squirrel damage but not other rodent damage". I have a letter from them denying liability. I think this is an unfair exclusion and have never been given a full list of exclusions - we were therefore not aware of the exclusion. The power points failed on 29 October when the electricity board's fuse blew and we were advised not to use the power circuit. Saga did arrange emergency cover to give us heating and hot water. We are having to live with a cable plugged into the garage circuit which is very inconvenient (we have to keep a downstairs toilet window open for the cable. We have no power upstairs, apart from lights. We have had the pest control people here laying poison and they are coming again next Wednesday to check for damage to the waste pipes (as they think that is where the rats are getting in). Do you think I should take this further with the insurance company or am I wasting my time? Is there anything you can do to help me? Where do i go from here? Roger XXXXXX

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello Roger my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know whether their policy details exclude this or they are just saying this now?

JACUSTOMER-yecpvpks- :
Saga says:

"I regret to inform you that we are unable to consider your claim as the circumstances you described fall within the General Exceptions to the policy. .......... Amongst the other General Exceptions to the policy there is an exclusion for any loss or damage caused by vermin (other than squirrels)"

As I said before, I have not seen the policy only a booklet giving brief details of the cover but not the specific exclusions. So, I only have their letter as above which is hardly the same as seeing a copy of the actual document.

Does this answer your question or do you require further ionformation?
Alex Watts :

Did they never supply the policy booklet?

JACUSTOMER-yecpvpks- :

Not the full policy but only a small booklet giving broad headings of buildings and contents - no details of relevant exclusions

Alex Watts : Ok. Have you informed them you never had this?
JACUSTOMER-yecpvpks- :

Alex Watts : Ok. What you need to do is write and make a formal complaint. Do not email or telephone to make it. Make sure it is in writing. They will then investigate your complaint. Make sure you set out the position and you never had the booklet.
Alex Watts : They will investigate the complaint and report back to you. If you are not happy with the response then you can go to the ombudsman.
Alex Watts : They regulate these providers and can investigate the complaint for free as they are independent. Their website is,org,UK
Alex Watts : That should resolve the matter for you.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-yecpvpks- :

No thank you

Alex Watts : Can I help you with anything else today?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: