12826847

I was working for Tesco and bought a £1000 bike through the

I was working for Tesco and bought a £1000 bike through the cycle to work scheme in March/April this year. I then left Tesco in May, but they hadn't deducted any payments.
Now (November 2014) they have sent me a letter telling me that I owe them the £1000.
Legally, where do I stand with regards ***** ***** to pay this? And will it affect my credit rating?
Is there any reason you think that you may not be liable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. It just seems as though I've been out of employment of Tesco for 6 months and only now have they decided that I them money when they are in a time of financial crisis and a time when I can't afford to pay it. ie in the run up to Christmas.
Yes, it would have been better if they had made the demand earlier. However, come what may, you accept being in contract with them and you are liable to pay.
You might well be able to negotiate payment in instalments and to begin after Christmas.
The fact that you haven't paid hitherto will not affect your credit rating. Your credit rating will only be affected if you are sued and do not pay within 28 days.
They will not be keen to sue you as it will cost them money and manpower so it would be worth negotiating with them.