LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi, the dividing fence between myself and my neighbour was

Customer Question

Hi, the dividing fence between myself and my neighbour was removed many years ago between the 2 buildings and the 2 paths that ran either side became one large path boxed in at both ends giving me access to the extend space. On our deeds the area is shown as being owned by me when we purchased in 2004. The fence was removed by the previous owner to my neighbours property to give the occupier of my property access to the space as they would get greater use of the land - my neighbour has a large driveway on the other side and therefore would unlikely ever have used the path. Onthe deeds from 1993 when my neighbour purchased his property although there is a line running the entire length of the fence, the shaded area indicating the property appears to exclude the space in question. My question therefore is does this land actually belong to me, I know that deeds aren't exact and are based on existing maps, it is possible to claim under adverse possesion laws? I ask as my neighbour is proposing building an extension that would butt upto the original boundary line which wouldn't be possible if I legally owned the land.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello. I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Do you know when the fence was removed? Also did your sellers say anything about this space and any agreement with the neighbour about it when you purchased?

JACUSTOMER-ozfmofy1- :

The fence was removed prior to my neighbour purchasing his property in 1993. The only (verbal) agreement we have had with the neighbour over it was shortly after we moved in and he asked us for access to an oil tank that supplies his property. Nothing was mentioned by our sellers and our solicitors may have mentioned the area as marked out on the deeds, but this was 10 years ago. It has never been a problem until recently when the neighbour is looking to extend his house and the architect said it would be a problem if we owned the land. The neighbour has asked that we reinstate the fence when we come to sell in effect re-enforcing his view of ownership.

JACUSTOMER-ozfmofy1- :

I've just looked at the the official deeds as held by the land registry as I realised I have only got copies from the surveys we had done, etc Unfortunately these show the boundary as straight where the original fence was (even though the fence is not shown on them), however my original question still remains am I able to claim adverse possesion over the land?

Customer:

The boundaries shown on the title plan and HMLR are not definitive. Adverse possession may well apply. As this is land at the boundary of your land slightly different rules to usual will apply. If you have been in adverse possession for more than 10 years ( as you and your predecessors in title have) and you reasonably believe the land is yours then yo shod be able to successfully claim the land as yours.

JACUSTOMER-ozfmofy1- :

How does having a boundary make a difference to claiming? It seems that as I can't prove the 12 years occured before 2002, then the new rules apply to claiming and if I were to make a claim my neighbour would be come aware and reinstate his claim formally. Thanks

Customer:

There is a special provision in LRA 2002 sched 6 para 5 re boundaries. It is intended to make it easier to register boundary encroachments. If (as here) the squatted land lies next to other land that belongs to the squatter, has been in the squatter's adverse possession and for the last 10 years of that the squatter reasonably believed that the land was his, then the claimed land should be registered on the squatter's 1st application, despite the registered proprietor of the land serving a notice of objection. There must not have been a determination of the boundary before and it must be registered land.