12826847

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I please need an advice.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I please need an advice. Two months ago, I have decided to start a business (a garage business) and I have found the place. I've spoke with the administrator and he told me I can rent the unit for £200/month for as many years time I want. I accepted his offer and in the last month I've spent over £10 000 in equipment, tools, marketing,...Yesterday afternoon, I received a text from the administrator, saying the rent per month will be £300, 1 year contract and after 1 year the rent will go up to £5-600 per month!! I did try to speak to him but he didn't wanted to listen. All he said to me was take it or live it! After I spent £10 000!! Is it legal to do that? Is it legal to double the rent after 1 year contract? Also when I asked about work conditions he said is not his business...if I don't like I can go.

What does the tenancy agreement say about rent? Have you signed it yet? Has he?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we didn't sign anything. It was just a verbal offer which I accepted. The contract suppose to be sign after I will install my equipment and after he will finish to renovate the unit/parking space, to fix a spray boot which is not working properly and poison the air...(nothing from these happened). Now he put me in the corner, with no other choice

Unfortunately until such time as you have a lease or licence signed by the landlord then you merely occupy on the tenancy at will he can ask you to leave on reasonable notice which would probably be one month.

The situation with regard to rent on commercial agreements is completely different from that of residential agreements and for a commercial agreement, he is entitled to charge what rent he likes at the outset and its only on review when the rent is reviewed in accordance with the terms of a lease that you can take it to arbitration.

The situation here is that before you did any work on the property you should have had a formal lease or licence and taken advice on it from a solicitor.

I wish I could give you a more favourable answer but at present, he can do just what he’s doing because you have nothing in writing

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good luck with this.