12826847

We have been subletting our flat to a third person (against

We have been subletting our flat to a third person (against our lease terms). Now they are being anti-social and we want them to move out but we do not know where we stand legally. This person has been physically and verbally abusive and we are concerned about damage to the property.

Do they share with you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, we all live there together.

This person is no more than a lodger. Depending on the agreement you can give between one week and one months notice for them to leave and they must leave. If they don’t, you can lock them out provided you give them their belongings back. You do not have to get a court order.

There is a useful website which the government have put together which explains exactly the situation for people in your situation.

Here is the link https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/ending-a-letting

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We do not really have a specific agreement. She was staying with us as a friend and then begun to contribute to the rent. Does this impact how much notice we need to give?

It depends on what she sahres with you as you will see on the website. No more than one month