LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi, We rent accommodation in Carlisle. We were in our previous

We rent accommodation in Carlisle. We were in our previous rented home for six years. We requested for three major improvements to take place, namely tidying up the front, tidying up the back and improve the kitchen. We were then given due notice to vacate so that they can sell the property. We vacated by the due date. The landlord then placed the property on the selling market for four months. We now notice that the house is back on the rental market and obviously this grieves us greatly. We have a child with Cystic Fibrosis and the upheaval in finding somewhere new has been horrific. I assume that because the landlord gave us proper notice that we have no recourse at all. The emotional strain on my wife has been huge. Some advice would be appreciated. I assume that we cannot sue at all.
James Issitt
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

LondonlawyerJ :

If this was a private landlord and he took possession legally, as it seems he did, then you have no comeback in law against him at all. Thsi assumes it was an assured shorthold tenancy. When did you move in?

Customer:

It was a private landlord.

Customer:

we moved in in Audust 2008.

Customer:

I note that you are now offline, even though you asked a question which I have duly answered.

LondonlawyerJ :

I ma still here and did not intenitonally go offline. No I am afraid that with that move in date unless your landlord has explicitly granted you extra rights (which is very unlikely) then there is nothing you can do about his actions. I know this is not the answer you were hoping for but I have to give you accurate answers. I would be grateful if you would please amend your rating.