LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

my dog bit a male who igave first aid to until help arrived

my dog bit a male who igave first aid to until help arrived . the male told me not to worry about my dog and up to today made no complaint The Police were heavy handed and said I would arrested if idid not have him destroyed . This is in my own home and if arrested would have had to shoot him if I had not agreed, under duress. Will give full details of events if required. what action can I take?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, i am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Can you just tell me how bad were the injuries what type of dog is it and what have the police done? Is the dog still with you or has it been taken?

LondonlawyerJ :

I will be on and off this site today depending on other work.

Customer:

He said it had bit his testicles the dog was a German shepherd. Up to now heard nothing from Police or male Under duress made me have dog destroyed. I am 70yrs of age and devastated .What action can I take, if any against police.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am at court at the moment away from the books I need to answer this properly. I am fairly sure that there is nothing you can do but will look into it properly later on today.

LondonlawyerJ :

When a dog bites and injures a person her is a power to destroy the dog but this can be resisted oo fyou can show that the dog i snot dangerous. The problem here is that you appear to have consented to the destruction. If you start protesting now you should be aware that there is a risk you may be prosecuted.

Customer:

Hi Up to today there has been n complaint made .It has been one month since the incident .how can you bring a case when no charges are made. I consented under duress. I live on my own 70yrs of age the dog was in my bedroom and if arrested they would have shot him. I can produce many people who inc. ret police to say he was under control. I am wanting justice so it does not happen again to anyone else.

LondonlawyerJ :

In what way were you put under duress?

Customer:

there was four Police cars out side my house and adog van .dog warden had see n me at 1630 and asked me to muzzle him when I took him out whichi agreed. I said was a dogmatic ok he said yes. I then went to Pets at Home to buy one not in stock.dog did not leave house again. at 1830 app rox. Police aggressive said they had come to take my dog away to which I said I would not agree. Asked them into House 3 police and dog warden .My dog was in my bedroom .

Customer:

You asked a question what is duress answered it but cut off for some reason.Ihave just been informed the reason by the animal centre for taking my dog the the POLICE said ihad him on a playing field that evening. total fabrication not true.he never let the house.

LondonlawyerJ :

I think if you agreed to his destruction there is going to be very little you can do. You could complain about the conduct of the police to the local police constabulary.

Customer:

they threatened to arrest me if idid not agree. arrest me for what .Dog would have attacked if they had gone in to my bedroom without me they would have shot him.Thanks I am taking it up with the Police commissioner

LondonlawyerJ :

Be aware that they could have arrested you under s3 Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 and possibly still could. Good luck with your complaint. I would be grateful ify ou wold pelas rate my answers to you. I will not get paid for answering if you do not do so.

LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience: Solicitor with over 15 years experience.