LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

We have recently moved to a new property and our solicitor

Customer Question

We have recently moved to a new property and our solicitor requested a certificate of electrical compliance from the seller and their solicitor. This was received by my solicitor but was never forwarded to us until after the house purchase. We have since discovered serious issues with the electrical and lighting installation in the property and it comes to light that the certificate provided only covered a very small part of the lighting installation and does not relate to the main electrics. Should she not have picked this up and questioned this when sent by the sellers?
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

It does sound as though your solicitor has failed to act properly in this. He should have forwarded it to you and he should have noticed that the electrical cert did not cover the whole property. Unless there is some justification for missing this, like excessive need for expedition etc. then he would appear to have not acted properly.

Customer:

Your 1st step could be to ask for details of the solicitor's complaints procedure (all must have them) and then make a formal complaint to the solicitor. I will be away from this site for while now but will look again later.

JACUSTOMER-2r9lyf2j- :

Many thanks. I have requested a copy of their complaints procedure as it was not readily available on their website, but have not yet received this.

Customer:

OK, they have a duty to tell you if you ask. It should also be explained in their initial client care letter to you. I would be grateful if you would please rate my answers. This will not close the question and I will continue to answer supplementary questions, I will not get paid for these answers if you do not give me a rating.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what is happening as I have rated you as 'good service' at the time and it shows on my screen as this

Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
You may be getting automated replies from the site. Thankyou for the rating and ignore further requests to rate.