12826847

My nephew has posted on facebook amongst other things "I was

Customer Question

My nephew has posted on facebook amongst other things "I was born in 1980 and have never known you (i.e. myself) to have a job, dont tell me youv've got a paperound. I have worked for three large companies since leavind school and been self employed I am now 53 and disabled. At my las place of employment my nephew spent time on work experirnce with me
Jo C. :

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.

Jo C. :

What would you like to know about this please?

JACUSTOMER-b57ml3bz- :

do I have grounds for a libel action

Jo C. :

In truth, it is quite unlikely that an implication that you are lazy alone is going to amount to 'serious damage to your reputation' within the meaning of a libel action.

Jo C. :

What is 'serious damage' is always a question of fact but there is a risk that a court would say that it amounts to an insult and an annoyance but no more.

Jo C. :

If you are intent then you could sue. It is ultimately for the court to decide. It will be expensive and you should bear that in mind.

JACUSTOMER-b57ml3bz- :

ok thank you

Jo C. :

You can always get a solicitor to write to him warning of the need to remove the comments to avoid a libel action.