Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

My wife had a recent investigation for breach of confidentiality.

My wife had a recent investigation for breach of confidentiality. We won the case as she and other reception staff received no training in what she had been accused off. During the investigation two managers where seen reading our private and confidential letters, which also held personal information about my wife. we put a complaint in which wasent awnserd to our satisfaction. We then took out a grievance agaisnt her employers which was upheld. We have written confirmation that her employers did breach my wifes confidentiality. The outcome was for her managers to appologise to her. Thus far they have ignored the outcome for two months. Our question is, if we have written confirmation they have breached my wifes confidentiality?, can we sue for damages. My wife had to take a month off work with, work related stress. It also spoilt her holiday this year due to the investigation.
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

taratill :

How long has your wife worked there for?

Customer:

She has worked there 20yrs on reception at a spire health bupa hospital.

taratill :

Hi it is not possible to sue for damages in these circumstances I'm afraid This is because employment laws are supposed to be used to address problems at work. If the employer continues to act in breach of trust and confidence then the correct approach is to raise a further grievance threatening a constructive dismissal claim if there are any further breaches of confidence.