13262538

Hi,my wife and I are married by proxy in Ghana but our marriage

Customer Question

my wife and I are married by proxy in Ghana but our marriage is not valid in France (where she is from). Can we legally have a civil ceremony here that would be accepted in France too? if yes, what would be the marital status to put on the marriage certificate?
For clarity are you asking if a marriage in the Uk would be recognised in France?
Do you both live in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Yes we both live in the uk. i know a civil ceremony here would be recognised in France too. that is why we want one. But I would like to know if it would be legal for us to get married here as well. in that case what would be the marital status to mention on the marriage certificate in the uk?

Regards.

May I ask what your immigration status is in the UK?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

application for a residence card pending.

On what basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

our mariage by proxy is legal in uk . we have been married for two years. my question was very clear and straighforward. having been married by proxy which is not valid in france would it be legal for us to have a civil ceremony here (that would be accepted in france). i could have any immigration status. i do not see the relevance. and you take 5 hours to come up with your question. if you dont know, just leave it. i am not satisfied.

Actually your immigration status is relevant and equally I am afraid that we are all working lawyers with the usual out of work commitments - hence the delays
If you are here on an EEA family member visa you do NOT need to remarry as the French have to accept OUR recognition of the marriage
However if you are here in a Student or other non family visa then you cannot rely on the fact that the Uk recognises the marriage and you will need to go through a Civil ceremony here in the Uk
You can simply say that you are unmarried - or that you are regularising a Proxy marriage - neither would be inappropriate
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Having applied for residence card as a married couple, would that not be strange to tell a register that we are unmarried. What are the risks of doing so? how could we approach a register with that situation?

That is why I needed to know what visa you are on at the moment.
As I said you can simply inform the Registrar that you are regularising a Proxy Marriage