LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

My partner is a care leaver aged 21. At the age of 5 she was

Customer Question

My partner is a care leaver aged 21. At the age of 5 she was taken away from her mother (due to an abusive relationship at the time) and put in the care of her father under section 20/21 from where she was taken into care of the authority at age 9 under section 31.
Her father had recently been released from prison for sexually assualting her mother and had a history of violent behaviour. He was not offered any form of help with his anger and very little supervision. During this time she was physically abused multiple times by both her father and his partner (again who had not been background checked). Even after being taken away from her father because of the abuse, he was still allowed to visit her in care.
Is there any grounds here for legal action against the care system? Because of the abuse she has suffered and the mismanagement of the case she has been depressed for a number of years as well as self harming and issues with anger.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

These sorts of claims are possible but there may be a time issue here. The usual time limit for bringing a personal injury action ( and that would include for mental ill health) is 3 years from the incidents causing the harm or if a minor at the time 3 years after becoming 18. There are exceptions to this rule but there is a real risk that the 3 year limit will apply to this possible case..

Customer:

Time limitation periods are complex and there may be a way to get around it. Swift action however is required.

Customer:

You describe a situation where vulnerable child has been put at risk. This could lead to a claim for compensation.

Customer:

http://www.apil.org.uk/abuse-assault-lawyer This is a link to the assoociation of Personal Injury Lawyers and in particular it is the find a lawyer section for lawyers who specialise in representing people who have been the victims of abuse. If you follow this link you should be able to find lawyers who are experts in what is a specialist area and also who are hopefully local to you.

Customer:

I am not sure why you have given me a poor rating and I would be grateful if you could amend that. If you would like any more information please just ask.