75100385

y mother is trying to get a copy of the cctv footage of an

y mother is trying to get a copy of the cctv footage of an accident she was involved in. The Police have said there is no crime to answer, and my mothers account of what happened is wrong. My mother wishes to see the footage to satisfy her own mind and her solicitor has requested it a number of times. A data protection form has now been completed requesting the footage. Can the Police deny this request? And on what grounds? Is this normal or only under certain circumstances?
Even the solicitors have commented that they have never had this problem before when asking for cctv footage. Is there a better way to deal with this?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know whether your mum is in the cctv?
Customer:

Yes my mum is on the cctv footage.

Alex Watts :

But does it show someone else though on the CCTV?

Customer:

Yes it does. It shows the people who made her fall, people who helped her and that she was made to stand in an area where there was no barriers ( another issue). The Police are bot pressing charges although they are saying things did not happen the way my mum recalls which us causinf her psychological distress.

Customer:

They previously showed the footage to my sister.

Customer:

I have not seen it nor has my mother. My mother is trying to sue and the footage would be beneficial for this and to clarify what happened exactly.

Alex Watts :

Its a tough one this - on the one hand she has a right to see it under the Data Protection Act. But on the other hand if it shows other people then they would need to be redacted or the CCTV refused because it would breach their rights under the Act.

Alex Watts :

On balance I do not think the Police would provide the CCTV

Alex Watts :

However all is not lost, if you seek a Court Order in the County Court Order they can disclose it

Alex Watts :

There you can apply to the Court for an order.

Alex Watts :

http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thank you for your help