LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi, a year ago I got a speeding fine in dorset in my company

Customer Question

Hi, a year ago I got a speeding fine in dorset in my company car. The fine was sent to my company but they provided an incorrect address for me (3 Vardens rd instead of flat 3,***** as a result I didn't receive the fine. The fine was then eventually sent to the right address (4 months later) but by this point we had moved out. Unfortunately this happened to coincide with a time when we were unsure about where we would be living ( we had bought a flat that had fallen through so we're living with my in laws for 6 weeks, we also were in South Africa on holiday for 4 weeks). We did buy another flat but had to rent short term while the papers were going through. As my car was registered to the company and all mail went to them and because I knew that we were moving to our new permanent address in just a few months I didn't change my address on my licence. I now have court papers against me for failing to submit my details. Part if me just wants to plead guilty and pay the fine but obviously those points on my licence may come back to haunt me. The other part of me feels strongly that I really didn't do anything wrong (aside from maybe not changing my address with the post office - although I did get the new tenants to forward me my mail for a week). Do you think it's worth going to court or should I just pay her fine and take my medicine?? Thanks so much for your help
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

Can you just tell me are you going to court for speeding or failing to give driver details.

JACUSTOMER-u0i0lka4- :

Hi I'm going to court for failing to give driver details. This matter did go to court in my absence (as I did not receive any of the mail) so I had to do a statutory declaration.My initial understanding was that this would revert the matter back to the original speeding fine and that I would then be able to provide my details and pay the speeding fine but it seems that this is not the case. When I spoke to the Dorset courts they said that now that the matter is in the court system it needs to be dealt with in the system and that I can't just pay the original fine.

JACUSTOMER-u0i0lka4- :

Thanks for your help

Customer:

Yes that is right. Very often they withdraw the speeding matter and proceed with the more serious failure to provide details matter.

Customer:

It is a defence to the allegation if it is not reasonably practical to provide the driver details to the authority within the time limit. If the you didn't receive the request you can use this as a defence. But you need to have acted reasonably and made proper arrangements about your address, forwarding and keeping the DVLA updated tec ot rely on this defence. YOU have a quite an involved address history at the relevant time. I would suggest you arrange a meeting with a specialist traffic law solicitor to assess whether you have a defence or should simply plead guilty and accept the 6 points and the fine (and consequential increased insurance costs).

JACUSTOMER-u0i0lka4- :

Thank-you. How would I go about doing that and do you have an idea of what the cost implications would be?

JACUSTOMER-u0i0lka4- :

Sorry I am originally from South Africa so don't have a full grasp of how the UK legal system works.....

Customer:

Many solicitors might well speak to you free of charge initially but to really work out the situation. If you just search under trafficlaw uk on Google you should find specialist lawyers who can help. The costs of defending the case will vary depending on location and solicitors pricing structures.