Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

Hi I would like to know how long does it take before a debt

I would like to know how long does it take before a debt is wiped clean if you haven't paid it
Expert:  Jenny replied 2 years ago.
taratill :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. please can you explain the situation in more detail?

Customer: My daughter got a phone contrat out for a friend about 7 yrs ago as he never had a bank account he told hold he would pay every month he ran a bill of £800 pounds be for the the county and leaving my daughter with the deit.
Customer: We explained this to the phone company any years ago . We had no heard anything for the last 5 year then today she received a letter say she has to go to court .
Customer: I have bin told that after a Certain amount of years the deit is wiped off ie lone bills ect the only one that they can still make you pay is Council tax or tax . How true is this .
taratill :

Hi was it 5 years ago that she acknowledged the debt with the company, i.e. at that stage did she agree that she had taken out the contract and was liable for the bill?

Customer: No it was more than 5 yrs ago I say more 7 . Yes she did agree with the contract but she trusted that her friend would pay it back every. Month but never did and my daughter was left with the bill .
taratill :

If the debt is more than 6 years old and she has not acknowledged it in that period it is statute barred, that means that if they take her to court the court will not have jurisdiction to find in their favour.

taratill :

She must make sure she does not acknowledge the debt now. She should say it is statute barred and she will defend a claim on that basis.

taratill :

If you have any further questions please do ask. if i have answered your questions please do take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

taratill :

Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this/

Customer: And finally would she need to attend court on 17 December
Customer: Sorry my apologies it was a County Court judgement had been issued against her on the 17th of November I thought it was a court letter to go to court.
Customer: I would like to thank you for the advice that you have given me you have been very helpfully .