Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

We have a telegraph pole and 2 wires connecting from it into

We have a telegraph pole and 2 wires connecting from it into the garden. We dug a flower bed around it to avoid the danger of children or lawnmowers getting caught in it.
I'm not sure if we can claim anything back from BT? for the inconvenience of having this in the garden.
Would appreciate your advice.
Jean Lovell-Butt
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I trust that there is a Wayleave Agreement in place with BT, which may have been entered into sometime ago?

I look forward ot hearing from you.

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That doesn't ring any bells. I will have to check if my husband has any more knowledge of this. I will have to get back to you tomorrow probably when we have had a chance to investigate paperwork.

Thank you for the moment.

Jean

Hi Jean,

I don't know how long you have been living at the property, but this

Wayleave Agreement may well have been entered into before you purchased.

I look forward to hearing form you tomorrow.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have managed to ask my husband and he says we do not have an agreement in place. He also remembers asking BT about this when we moved in and apparently they told him they no longer offer any recompense.

So I guess I have answered the question myself now.

Jean

Hi Jean,

If the pole has in place for several years, BT will have a "deemed" Wayleave agreement in place and as you have found out, they won't pay any compensation to you for any inconvenience caused.

You could, however, approach BT to see if they are prepared to move the pole to another position which may be less inconvenient for you and your family. If, and it is a big if, they agree, you will legally be obliged to their fees in this relocation, which are normally around £8,000!!

I hope this assists.

Kind Regards

AL