13262538

Good morning,My son and his partner have a four year old

Good morning,
My son and his partner have a four year old son who lives with them.
Their relationship has broken down and they are thinking of going their separate ways. My son has done most of the caring for the child, ie ironing his school clothes, feeding/cooking for him and putting him to bed. He also has his own business, but has been able to tie this in with his work hours. His partner is often away abroad attending lectures on her hobby of horses, she is also on tablets to keep her sane. She does fly into rages every now and then, and my son takes the child to work with him to separate them. He adores his, son and would like to have sole custody of him, however he is quite prepared to allow the mother to spend time with the son.
Can you please tell us which way my son should go to achieve this?
My name is ***** *****
What has been suggested so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To be honest nothing, he needs to discuss this with the child's mother, but he wanted to be correct in his actions before it gets too involved.

They live on a farm, which was my home, and after my husband passed away after about six years I was lucky enough to re-marry and I moved away, leaving both my sons and their partners in separate houses there.

My son pays for my grandson to go to a private school nearby and he does the transport, next year the school fees will be more expensive and I will help my son with this cost.

Thank you Clare.

Jenny (Grandma!)

Does the mother expect to move far away - or stay local?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure, her family are in Northern England where she has a property which she has let out. When she goes away it has been Germany, and she did mention to my son that she may go out there. However, nothing is definite as the subject has not been discussed in depth yet. She could even stay local.

Jenny.

It is expected that parents are able to discuss how a child will share their time between them and agree the necessary arrangements (preferably signing a Parenting Plan) - using Family mediation if necessary
www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk
If no agreement can be reached the priority for the court is the stability and security of the child - and the fact that your son has been the main carer until now and will be remaining in the family home makes his case much stronger - and makes it more likely that the child will spend more time with him than with his mother
Your son may find this website helpful
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details