Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

hello I need legal advice before 10 days we asked for house

hello I need legal advice before 10 days we asked for house rent to Albany agency, gave cash 500 pounds but before to sing contract they raised their price, then we rezourt and they said, that will return the money back, because it is not our fault. But for a whole week they do not return our money. How can back our money? Thanks in advance Tinka
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

May I confirm you paid the monies in physical cash as you say (as opposed to for example debit card)? If you did pay in cash do you have a receipt for your payment?

Joshua :

Do you have any of the conversations in writing or were they all verbal?

Customer:

yes have recept

Customer:

have spoken to them but only promise and nothing else

Joshua :

Thanks. Finally do you have a copy of the advert for the property showing the original rent before they increased it or something similar? If not could you get a copy?

Customer:

yes have

Customer:

they gave to us documents to full up this i have only

Joshua :

Thanks. The first thing to consider doing is putting something in writing to the agency. The reason for this is that if you are relying on verbal conversations, unfortunately, some agencies will change their version of events to fit what is best for them. Therefore it is good to have something between you in writing-email is fine.

Customer:

to email them

Joshua :

You could consider emailing the agency referring briefly to what happened and your conversations and in particular, their assurance that they would return your deposit going on to say that you are concerned that you have still not received the return of your money asking them to confirm how and when they propose to return this within the next say 24-48 hours.

Joshua :

If they do not reply or do not give you a clear answer, you can consider a further email to them advising that you are disappointed that they have failed to return your money as they agreed and in the circumstances you will have little option but to consider complaining to any ombudsman which regulates them and applying to the County Court for an order that they return monies

Joshua :

many agencies, though not all are members of an ombudsman service and if they are, you can complain initially to them if you wish without any charge. You can check to see if the agency in question is a member of an ombudsman using the following link:

Joshua :

http://www.tpos.co.uk/find-member.php

Joshua :

If the agency is not a member or you prefer not to use an ombudsman service you can sue the agency for the money in the county court. it is very easy and you can issue a claim online using the following link:

Joshua :

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Customer:

thankyou

Joshua :

A pleasure. If you are forced to issue a claim in the county court, please do not hesitate to come back to me and I will be very happy to guide you through the steps you need to take without further charge.

Joshua :

Have I been able to help you with all your questions on the above?

Customer:

thanks

Joshua :

Good luck with recovering your money.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though