12826847

Hi I was hoping for assistance in regards ***** ***** inventory

Customer Question

Hi I was hoping for assistance in regards ***** ***** inventory of a property that I am renting and have been for 3months. We saw the property and loved it so paid the admin fees to get the process started, our offer was accepted and we paid around £500 in admin fees and after the commitment we were emailed saying that the bath taps are not to be used, if they were used we were to pay for the expensive repairs so instead we are to fill the bath with shower head which takes about 30minutes when I was assured that it only took a few minutes by the landlady. Also we are not to use the plug in the bathroom sink as it sticks and we would have to pay for repairs again. These were mentioned to us a stage that was too late in our eyes to back out, they were mentioned to us but it was never mentioned that she would not fix the problems especially when in the inventory on the bathroom page there is no mentioning of any problems. The bath taps and sinks are not mentioned in the inventory which I believe is a legally binding document, we are now hoping to get out of the property and break the tenancy as the problems keep building and nothing seems to be fixed. The toilet seat has been broken since moving in and we are still waiting for her to repair it 3 months later. So I was wondering if as the inventory is legally binding if we could break the tenancy due to this. Thank you
If this is an AST then these are not grounds to escape I'm afraid.
The inventory is not your contract. It is just a piece of evidence of the state of the property when you moved in.
If you have evidence that she accepts that there are other faults then that undermines the inventory.
However, if there are significant faults then the landlord should repair them. If she does not then you can do the work yourself and sue for the cost.
You are not describing anything really here worth suing over though. A new bathroom plug is cheap enough unless, of course, the fault is with the basin.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo thanks for your help I think the tenancy is a AST. I am not after suing I am just after hopefully being able to leave the property as every issue takes a very long time to resolve.

Is the inventory not meant to state every issue, mark, damage, fault in the property? Thanks for your assistance with this it is very much appreciated. Is it a legal document that I can ask her to repair the faults if not we would like to move out as we do not want to pay all that money for a property with such faults. Is this possible? Thanks

Inventories that record everything are generally better evidence than ones that do not. It is not a contract though.
If you leave now then you will be in breach and liable for the cost of the monthly rent until the end of the contract or until they find a replacement.
if there are significant faults then the landlord should repair them. If she does not then you can do the work yourself and sue for the cost. You are not describing anything really here worth suing over though. A new bathroom plug is cheap enough unless, of course, the fault is with the basin.