75100385

6 years ago, i received a police caution for the possession

Customer Question

6 years ago, i received a police caution for the possession of a class a controlled substance: cocaine. I now wish to pursue a career in law to become a solicitor/barrister. To my understanding, as of 25th of May 2013, new legislation was bought in that filtered cautions (including mine) would no longer appear on standard and enhanced DBS checks, eliminating the need to disclose the offence to the SRA and prospective employers. Is it likely I will have problems entering the line of work now? Due to solicitor and barrister work being part of the 'exceptions from the rehabilitation of offenders act' the line is quite blurry. Do the SRA carry out standard or enhanced DBS checks?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Generally it's a basic check.
Alex Watts : In any event if it is enhanced only non filtered offences will show.
Alex Watts : So your caution won't show given the nature, even if enhanced
Alex Watts : Can I clairdy
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-4fyroib5- :

I'm a bit unsure of which offence I have been cautioned for as i lost the paperwork at the time, I am waiting for my PNC subject access request to come back. With the basic check, only unspent convictions would come up, is that the check they are most likely to perform?

Alex Watts : Yes.
Alex Watts : your offence for possession is now exempt.
Alex Watts : Does that help?
JACUSTOMER-4fyroib5- :

I think so, i'll just have to wait for PNC results to make sure the caution was only issued for simple possession and nothing further. Unfortunately i was in a state of distress when the arrest happened, i didn't really read what i was signing at the time but hopefully it will just be a possession charge.

Alex Watts : Yes indeed. Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/