How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ash Your Own Question

Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My daughter has just been found guilty of common assault against

Resolved Question:

My daughter has just been found guilty of common assault against her husband and due for sentencing on 18.12.14 and would wish to appeal. We would wish to employ the services of a Barrister to present her appeal. Do you know of any good Barristers and also if for any reason the appeal goes against her would she be given a stiffer penalty
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Did she enter a guilty plea or was found guilty?
Alex Watts : On what basis does she want to appeal?

Se entered a plea of not guilty. She would wishes to appeal on the basis that she was acting in self defence and finds the sentence harsh. Further she is studying Forensic Science and feels this could seriously jeopardise her future if accepting the guilty verdict were to remain on her file.

Alex Watts : Did she not put forward self defence? Was she represented ?

She was represented by a Legal Aid Lawyer (who in my view was not as challenging as he could have been) as she has no income, being a student and yes I believe she entered a plea of self defence




Alex, could you respond to my previous answer

Alex Watts : Sorry for the delay, signal reception.
Alex Watts : You can't appeal until sentence. Then you can appeal to the crown court.
Alex Watts : The trial will be reheard and if guilty re sentenced. Yes the court can Impose a harsher sentence.
Alex Watts : If you want a barrister you can have a public access one. I can't recommend one but a list can be found here
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Thanks for that. Why therefore are we being advised that she can appeal now but needs to do so within 21 days of the hearing in the Magistrates Court which found her guilty, if as you say she can only appeal once sentenced

Alex Watts : You could potentially lodge an appeal now but usual to wait until sentence.
Alex Watts : Does that help?


Alex Watts : Ok. Can I clarify anything else

The Prosecutor has asked for her to be fined. Should we decide against appealing how long would this remain on her records

Alex Watts : It won't show on a crb or dbs check once spent which is after one year,
Alex Watts : So it remains live for a year.

Many thanks

Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything else for you?

No thank you for your time and advice

Alex Watts : Can I help with anything else?

No that's it

Alex Watts : great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply
Alex Watts : Have a great weekend

Will do - rate you that is

Alex Watts : thanks, ***** ***** good weekend hopefully ūüėÄ
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10914
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice