31090051

Is it legal to advertise for a woman tenant only? I wish to

Is it legal to advertise for a woman tenant only? I wish to find a female tenant to rent a studio flat within my home - they would have access to my flat and I would feel more comfortable if the tenant was female.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You are allowed to discriminate on grounds of gender where you are taking in a lodger and living space is accessed or shared with the landlord or a member of her/his family.
If that is the case here you can advertise on th basis of "woman only".
I hope that this helps. Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think they would technically be a lodger. The studio flat is on the 1st floor of my maisonette. I live on the second floor .The studio has it's own council tax band on the grounds that the studio has it's own kitchen and bathroom. There is only one boiler for the whole property (in my kitchen) - the tenant would need to come to my kitchen on the second floor to switch on heating outside normal times when it is on. We share the same front door - so any tenant would be able to enter my living space by walking up the stairs to the second floor. Would this situation still enable me to advertise for a female tenant? Many thanks Karen

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No, not if the person is not a lodger. You would run the risk of discrimination.
The way round this is to place an advert and show the premises to men and women but make it clear that there have been multiple viewers and the property may or may not be available.
There is no law that says you have to take the first tenant that comes along or indeed any tenant at all. I hope that is clear for you.