UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

Hi, I am a naturalised British Citizen as is my sister.

Customer Question

I am a naturalised British Citizen as is my sister. My parents were born in 1947 and 1949 in what was East Pakistan and is now Bangladesh.
Both my parents are medical doctors and are fluent in English. Furthermore, my mother has been a frequent visitor to the UK over the last two decades and both have been recipients of multiple 10 year multi-entry visit visas. They have strictly abided by their visa conditions with respect to duration of stay. We are a relatively well off family and are capable of supporting ourselves financially by our own means and we have property, rent/mortgage free and owned outright, in the United Kingdom so we would not need recourse to public funds or social housing.
I recently discovered the topic of British Subjects. Is there any possibility of pursing citizenship, or Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter for my mother on that, or any other basis?
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid if your parents were Pakistan citizens at birth, then they do not have a claim to British Subject status.
They may qualify for Tier 2 visas if they find employment in the UK and sponsorship from UK employers.
Otherwise I am afraid the multiple entry visas for visiting would be their best option to continue visiting the UK.
May I help further?