13262538

I am unmarried, childless & recently seperated from a longterm

I am unmarried, childless & recently seperated from a longterm cohabiting relationship, have moved out of main home which was completely owned by ex partner, living in a holiday cottage which I have a quarter share, my partner owns a quarter share, the other half is owned by my Cousin & wife, trying to buy out my partner's share, have no concrete proof of vested interest in both properties despite considerable input in both properties, my cousin wants to know my legal rights, my interpretation of the law is that I have not much protection. Can you clarify where I stand in terms of the law & using a solicitor?
How long were you living together and what financial contribution did you make to the property?
Were you ever engaged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
17.5 years living together, never engaged, property always in his name, no mortgage so no trackable payments!
But what payments DID you make over the years?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£190 a month housekeeping
Have you ever done any work on the house to help with structural alterations or improvements?
Did your ex ever promise you a share of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did loads of building work, painting & decorating for years but no proof, no promise of share, he originally wanted me to pay rent but I never did, acted like a wife!
Can you expand a little on the building work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Knocking lathe & plaster with a crowbar, dumping rubble into skips, restoring spindles on staircase back to wood, skirting & doors same, sanding woodwork, painting rooms
The lathe and plaster and rubble part - what was that related to?
(yes clutching at straws BUT it could be important)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The house was gutted on the inside & totally modernised over a period of many years with both of us living through it, that was the main house I moved out of & we did the same with a smaller holiday cottage but I have a quarter share in that!
How much did the work increase the value by? (very rough guess)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
House was bought for 35,000 outright by my partner, no mortgage, his money, value approx around £200, 000
How much of that is due to any increase in house prices in your area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was a big jump in house prices around the year 2000 which would be a considerable factor, not able to quantify it, houses were cheap in the 90's & got expensive with economic boom!
OK.
The work that you did to help you improve the property can give you a potential claim on the equity.
Not a large claim and not even a certain one - but certainly a claim that a court could uphold - possibly for something like 5-10% of the equity at most
This would be based on the physical work that you did on the property having created a Resultant Trust - the procedure would be longwinded and problematic - you can read about it here
http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media/2347003/land-disputes-a-guide-to-procedure.pdf
BUT it could be worth while raising the issue in the negotiations on the other property as it will mean that your ex would avoid the potential costs of a court case
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details