Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I have recently attended a speed awareness course. My insurance

I have recently attended a speed awareness course. My insurance company is now saying that this counts as a conviction. I have asked the question with my local police and they have stated that due to my attendance of the course it is not classed on any record as a conviction.
Therefore, how can any insurance company say it is.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
You have not accepted a fixed penalty, been prosecuted or convicted by a court. Therefore, this is not a conviction, in fact attending the speed awareness course is actually an alternative to a fixed penalty/prosecution.
The insurance company seems to be treating your attendance at the speed awareness course as some form of admission that you've done wrong, which is not the case at all. You should complain about their stance and if they refuse to change your minds then complain to the Financial Ombudsman.