LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

my father is an 81 yr old parkinson's sufferer living in the

my father is an 81 yr old parkinson's sufferer living in the midlands. he recently remarried, and his wife (my stepmother) is denying me access to his home, although she has said that she is happy to bring my father to whichever hotel i may be staying at (i live in germany).
given that my father's mobility is reduced, is she within her legal rights to adopt this position?
(i believe that financial abuse is occurring, and a sibling told her my suspicions, which precipitated the situation).
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

hello

LondonlawyerJ :

I thin she can prevent anyone she wants coming inter what I assume is her home as well as your father's. You will, I am afraid, just have to play along with it and arrange to see your father in whatever convenient locations you can arrange.

Customer:

got it. so presumably, even though the house belongs to my father, as his wife, she has the same rights of access denial as he does, even though he is happy to see me in his home...

LondonlawyerJ :

Pretty much yes. If there is ever a situation where your father is saying you can come in and she is saying you cannot then it may be that you can accept your father's invitation as long as no offences will take place (eg assaults, breaches of the peace etc.). But it sounds as though (probably due to your father's ill health) she is controlling access to him and to the house.

LondonlawyerJ :

As far as the financial abuse is concerned it may well be worth contacting Age Concern about this who I would think would be able to give useful general advice.