29905560

I need more help with employment law please. I need to know

I need more help with employment law please. I need to know if can insist on an employee seeing their doctor, and ask for proof that this has been done. Or can I contact her doctor myself?
Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why do you think they need to see their doctor?

Customer:

The lady concerned is a supervisor, she claimed that two staff have harrassed her both inside and outside of work. I investigated by interviewing both staff plus other staff who work at the same time. What came to light was that the supervisor may be suffering from Bulemia, and has a drink problem. This is allegedly causing her to make things up. I have had a call from her to say that she received several take-aways delivered to her home not paid for. However when I asked if she had the details of where the deliveries came from and whether accompanies by me she would make a statement to the police she declined. She says she didnt ask any of the delivery drivers where they were from, which is odd.

Ben Jones :

Do you use occupational health in the workplace?

Customer:

No, we dont, we are a very small business. Is there a way I can get an occupational health report on her? I need to suggest something so that she seeks medical advice, as her work has been poor of late too

Ben Jones :

you cannot force her to go and see her doctor but if there are concerns about her work then you can say that you are requesting that she obtains such a medical report and until this is done you may have to make changes to try and ensure her health and safety is not compromised which may not be the most appropriate if she does not have a formal medical assessment so in the long run it can be detrimental to her. So try and appear supportive when you ask her to do this, rather than just force her to go off and see a doctor especially if she believes there may be nothing wrong with her. As to the proof then that would come from a fit note or a medical report that the doctor may issue, you can try and contact them directly but due to data protection they are unlikely to release any information on her without her consent, even basic details such as whether she attended or not. Alternatively you can arrange for an occupational health specialist to see her but this will be something you would have to pay for and again you cannot force her to attend

Customer:

My aim was to support her, as she does normally do a fairly good job, and we have spent loads of time and money training her. I wish to start by telling her that we are concerned she isnt coping with her work and that she must be struggling as none of the staff will talk to her. I then wish to mention that she looks painfully thin and suggest she sees a doctor and return to us with the medical report. I dont want her to have to take loads of time off sick if she doesnt need/want to but may reduce her hours if she feels under too much pressure. would that suffice?

Ben Jones :

yes but do not impose the changes on her, work with her, so don't forcefully change her hours without her consent. You need to discuss with her the issues and what possible solutions there may be, asking for the medical report in the meantime as that would allow you to decide on the best solution

Customer:

Tank you for your help

Customer:

Ooops Thank you not Tank you

Ben Jones :

:) you are most welcome

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'