31090051

we were offered a house through my husbands work which we accepted

we were offered a house through my husbands work which we accepted and gave notice to our current private landlord. 5 days later they withdrew the offer and our landlord has already re let our home so we will be homeless. Carillion Amey are offering a house now that is too small and said that is all they can do despite it putting us in breach of*****orders to do with 4 children if we move and have just said they are sorry for their mistake. where do we stand?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
An offer and an acceptance constitutes a contract. Your husbands employer has made an offer, you have accepted it, and that is a contract, assuming it is in writing.
That being the case you have a binding lease and you can insist that they stick to it or else you can claim damages from them, representing the cost of alternative accommodation of the same standard and at the same cost. L
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They have this rule book called jsp 464 where it stipulates what category accommodation you are entitled to and they are saying that they made a mistake in our allocation and that they don't have to offer us 4 bed house. They have offered us a 4 bed house 45 minutes from where we live and the 4 children go to school and we have 2 court orders where the children are dropped too and collected from school meaning we cant all move that far away or they have offered us 3 bed where the initial 4 bed was given and then retracted but with the 3 bed the courts stop overnight stay with 2 of the children as there is not enough room for 6, 1 child has autism and we have 1 girl so we need 3 bedrooms for the 4 children. Does your initial advice still stay the same.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Is the offer for the house in writing and have you accepted it in writing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes is what done electronically and accepted electronically but we have printed copies of this.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
No, an electronic exchange is not sufficient to constitute a contract I'm afraid. They are not bound to give you the house.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

where do we stand though in terms of losing our current home where we gave notice to our landlord and we now have to move out.

Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
I would say that you have grounds to raise a formal grievance with your employer and claim for any financial losses as a result of them not operating the contract of employment and handbook correctly.