75100385

We arranged for installation of plantation shutters to our

We arranged for installation of plantation shutters to our home and paid half the cost as a deposit. Installation was scheduled for 10/9/14 and we intended to pay the balance owing once the shutters were installed and we were happy with the work. However, we received an email from the company requesting the balance owing on or before installation date otherwise this could delay installation. We therefore paid the balance owing and had the shutters installed. However, the standard of work was not to the standard advertised by the company and we have had to have an installer return to fix the smaller issues but there was a major problem with the shutters fitted to the patio doors. To date we have made several phone calls and been given different information about what would be done to fix the problem. It is now 3 months since the installation and today we have now been told that a meeting will be held and someone would come out to assess the situation and the matter would be resolved but not now until after Christmas. Do we give the company the opportunity to resolve the situation before taking further steps or involving the ombudsman. Your advice would be appreciated.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As mentioned in my initial question, do we now wait for the company to come good and resolve the situation, even though it has now been

3 months and we are still waiting to find out exactly what they will do to fix the problem. Or do we advise them that we have sought legal advice as to what steps to take to get the matter resolved.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for you reply and if you could continue to see if someone can provide some advice on this matter it would be appreciated. It may be that we need to give the company the opportunity to make good with the work to be carried out to fix the problem but they don't seem to be in any rush to assist. Many thanks Judy

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.
For now please let me know if you have had quotes to make good the work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have not had any quotes to make good the work. As far as we are aware this should be covered under the guarantee for the initial installation. Since sending my last reply the company has now arranged for the Head Surveyor to call on Monday 5th January to assess the situation. I have listed the current information we have been given over the last 3 months below, none of which has either been correct or put in place. and also the comment made by the Installation Manager when I called the company the other day.

• Caleb from the company advised that a new order had been placed, this information was not correct

• Peter came out on Saturday 18/10 to fix the smaller issues and re-measured the patio door area and said he would see David (Managing Director) in person the following Monday 20/10 to give him a full report - I found out yesterday that this did not happen.

• Speaking to Tony, Installation Manager yesterday he advised that a infill panel was to be ordered, but this is not correct

After speaking with Tony yesterday I was quite upset about what he said to me, in that when I mentioned we had paid out the full amount for the shutters and still had problems with the patio doors, to which he commented "well it is only one door we are talking about", but when you pay any amount of money for work you expect it all to be done properly.

If you need any additional information, please advise exactly what details you require and I will reply accordingly.

Judy Sant

OK, you should get a quote from a number companies to put the work right -this forms your loss.
You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or provide a refund of the cost to make good within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do we still wait to see what their Head Surveyor advises when he calls on 5th January or get the additional quotes to put the job right as well as.

Judy Sant

Judy I would let their surveyor come but also get quotes in the meantime. Then when the surveyor comes he will kmow you mean business.
Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience