UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My girlfriend from the United States will be coming to stay

My girlfriend from the United States will be coming to stay with me from the 29th of December. How long can she stay? Also, can she not appply for a long-term visitor visa while she's here? She won't be working or anything. I'm supporting her fully but she'll just be living in my house. Marriage is an option later on, however, right now, for the first year. We're just keeping it simple. I need some advice on what I can do. I'd like to see her on a normal visitor entry visa for 6 months, I believe? But then I want to return to the States for a few weeks with her. But she'll have to stay? Also if we travel out of the country in Europe, does that count against the total of days she can stay? I'm all a bit confused and need your help. This is very important to us as she's going through depression and needs my support.

Can we apply for a long-term visitor visa while she's here?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 2 years ago.

As a US citizen, she is allowed to visit the UK for up to 6 months at a time without requiring a visit visa.

She may be asked to show proof that she will return back home at the end of her visit e.g. return flight ticket, money to pay for her UK trip etc.

Once in the UK under the visa waiver, she is not allowed to change to any other kind of visa normally.

The general rule of thumb is that she should not visit the UK for more than 6 months in every 12 months period, so visiting the continent and coming back to the UK should not pose a problem really.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do as not seeing her for 6 months is pretty rough? If we apply for the VISA when she lands in the U.S. can she return after just 3 months? I'm going off information from https://www.gov.uk/general-visit-visa
Yes, she can return back after 3 months but if the UK border officials feel that she is residing in the UK and not merely visiting, she will be refused entry and sent back.
Unless she applies for a student visa or a work visa, there are no other options I am afraid unless you intend to get married in which case a fiancée visa will be appropriate.
all the best