I studied Maths at Liverpool University from 1975 to 1978 and

Customer Question

I studied Maths at Liverpool University from 1975 to 1978 and in January 1978 the Careers Advice Service there advised me to apply to work as a Computer Programmer. This turned out to be disastrous advice, leading to me having a complete nervous breakdown, being diagnosed as schizophrenic and having to have medication injections and tablets for life. I got a job as a programmer but was totally out of my depth, leaving after 18 months in April 1980 in a very unwell state. Had I worked in banking I would probably have been alright.
My question is; Do I have a case to sue for bad advice against Liverpool University Careers Advice Service?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am really sorry but there is no realistic chance of claiming.
Firstly, you are time barred under the limitation act. You have six years from the act complained of to sue in negligence. You could try to argue that you had mental health difficulties so time should not run but it is not a good chance I'm afraid.
Secondly, you would have to prove this was the sole cause of your difficulties and given that you left in 1980 that is not going to be possible realistically.
Thirdly, you may well meet with the attitude that you don't have to follow advice. That is particularly the case if you are educated. It is no defence to say that you were following advice.
Fourthly, even if it was wrong for you it still may not amount to negligent advice. In all the circumstances it may well have been a reasonable suggestion despite the fact that it didn't work for you.
I am sorry but I have to give your truthful information.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Jo

Thank you for your reply. Although you say that I am time barred out

I became so mentally ill very soon after I took the job advised for 18 months that I was too ill to claim. I have had two breakdowns and a dangerous road episode. I am still unwell. I have not worked for only a couple of years since that first job in computer programming that led to be loosing work and money. I am now fairly near to retiring and have worries that I am broke. I think this is the sole cause of my mental illness as I suffered a mental illness while there at work and thereafter.

I was only 21 and had been studying pure maths ONLY This advice should not have been given to someone so young and inexperienced.

I feel it was very wrong.

I would be pleased to hear from you again.

thank you

Steven Binns

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
This information doesn't change my answer above.
I am sorry but its quite unlikely that limitation would not be an issue here. You have to be literally locked up on section before a court would accept that.