LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

Hi, I have a hearing Monday the 8th for an insurance issue,

Customer Question

I have a hearing Monday the 8th for an insurance issue, I did pay for insurance on the 1st of January and a month later they sent me a letter saying that they want another 100 pounds because they thought that my wife has manual license and she only has automatic as we are both insured on the same policy, so I told them to take it out from the same card I payed with originally, 2 months later my wife was stopped by police, saying that there's no insurance on the car... what I found out afterwards is that my card that they had on the system expired end of January and they say that sent me an email saying that they could not get the money, WHICH THEY DIDN'T, so they just cancelled my insurance without informing me.. do I plead guilty and tell them the story or do I plead not guilty? any other advice you could give me? Thanks alot
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

Customer:

You will have to plead guilty to this. Driving without insurance is effectively a strict liability offence, the only defence being if you reasonably believed that an employer had you on their insurance. These circumstances do amount to good mitigation. Do you have any points on your licence?

JACUSTOMER-6z1h6rbb- :

no, never had any offences

JACUSTOMER-6z1h6rbb- :

i thought that i do have insurance

Customer:

That is not a defence .

JACUSTOMER-6z1h6rbb- :

Is there any chance of pleading guilty and getting off the points, as it was an honest mistake

Customer:

No you will not be able to avoid 6 points which is the mandatory number of points for the offence but you should avoid a driving ban -assuming yu have a clean driving record. A ban is unlikely on these facts but if you want to have extra assurance that this will not happen it might make sense to instruct a solicitor to represent you (cost I would guess £250-500). Getting written character reference from respectable types who can write a letter to the court saying what an upstanding law abiding person you are and how surprised they are to hear about the case would also be helpful.