Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

I am a mother to a 12 year old girl that is being bullied at

Customer Question

I am a mother to a 12 year old girl that is being bullied at school by girls two years older .This situation is also happening to three of her classmates by the same girls. Myself and the other parents involved have had a meeting with the school and they have set out measures although I am still really worried about if she gets hurt and hoping I don't thump one of girls myself in pure anger .Now I know that is not the correct response but feel very protective towards my child .If this was to happen how would I be treated by the police
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Have you ever been in trouble with the police before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have always been law abiding

Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
It's not a pleasant experience and whilst I can understand your frustration and understandable anger at the situation you must not take matters into your own hands for these reasons: you are an adult and liable in criminal law whereas children are treated differently, you could be arrested and charged with assault and end up with a criminal record, your child will end up being stigmatised as a result of your actions. You must let the school deal with this - they have a legal duty to look after your child and their failure to do so could leave them open to complainants/claim for negligence. So whatever you do, do not resort to violence because it will only make the situation worse.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
How long ago were the anti-bullying measures put in place?