75100385

Last January I signed a contract for accommodation in Huddersfield

Last January I signed a contract for accommodation in Huddersfield (DIGS) for my daughter who had picked the university there. She subsequently changed her mind and decided she wanted to go to Liverpool instead. Had I thought at the time that I was signed into the contract for the accommodation then I would have said no but I didn't and now I'm liable for the full cost of the accommodation in Huddersfield. I have already paid £1600 to them and the next instalment of £1300 is due in January. When it was cancelled we were put on the cancellation list (10th) and they said if we found someone or they let it out I would no longer be liable. The point is that we haven't stopped anyone booking accommodation because they hadn't let out the rest of their rooms yet we were still put on a list. Is it worth me refusing to pay, it is an awful lot of money for nothing or are they in their rights to insist I pay,
Michelle
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

What does the contract say about termination or cancellation please?

Customer:

It does say that I am liable for the full cost unless I find someone to take the room or they find someone but my point is can they do that when they haven't even let out the rest of their rooms so we haven't stopped someone having a room. They haven't had to turn anyone away

Alex Watts :

Ok - you want to know if you are liable?

Customer:

Yes please and how I might be able to get out of the contract

Alex Watts :

Sadly it is unlikely.

Alex Watts :

You signed a contract and therefore liable for the period.

Alex Watts :

They are right in terms that if they get someone else in you wont be liable for that period.

Alex Watts :

But sadly on the basis you signed the contract, you agreed to pay for the sums due.

Alex Watts :

Change of mind sadly is not a reason for cancelling and not being liable.

Alex Watts :

Its like if you sign a mobile phone contract and change your mind part way through, you would still be liable.

Alex Watts :

But if they find someone else then your liability ends. Of course if they have other rooms available they are entitled to fill those first.

Alex Watts :

But in law if you signed the contract and later changed your mind, then sadly you are liable.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

That's what I thought-it is an awful lot of money that I haven't really got and like everyone I hate paying for something that gives me nothing in return but we live and learn-Thank you for your time

Alex Watts :

I am sorry its not better news.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer:

Not to worry-I'll be more careful next time one of my children goes to University

Customer: