Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Dear Sirs, please help, I purchased a double iron gates

Dear Sirs, please help,
I purchased a double iron gates from a firm i found online,
when i received the good there was a difference from what i was expecting. - The vertical bars where square not round.
I brought this to the attention of the manufacturer / supplier, they informed me that all the products had square bars as standard and that i should have specified round when ordering them.
However, although i found them online, i placed the order via the email where the lady i was communicating with did not bring this to my attention, and when reviewing this on there web site i could find no section that made it clear and obvious that i needed to specify.
The company are not budging.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Alex Hughes : Good afternoon. Are you saying this error was yours or theirs?
Customer:

I'm saying it's their error, not informing me that their policy is square bars as standard and that i needed to specify.

Customer:

, they did not make it obvious or point out that i needed to specify

Customer:

for alex hughes.

Alex Hughes : OK. Could you clarify this - what made you think the gate would be circular rather than square?
Alex Hughes : If goods don't match their description and you have only had them for a very short time and not used them, you should return them to the seller and claim a refund.You can do this regardless of where you bought the goods, for example in a shop, on the internet, or from a catalogue. It also doesn't matter whether you bought the goods from a private seller or from a business.You should say that the goods have been 'misdescribed' and you would like a refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
Alex Hughes : You seem to be saying the gates you purchased were not as described, therefore, you are entitled to a refund. If the supplier will not budge, give them a 14 day ultimatum and then sue them in the County Court for the full purchase price.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Alice H replied 2 years ago.
If goods don't match their description and you have only had them for a very short time and not used them, you should return them to the seller and claim a refund.You can do this regardless of where you bought the goods, for example in a shop, on the internet, or from a catalogue. It also doesn't matter whether you bought the goods from a private seller or from a business.You should say that the goods have been 'misdescribed' and you would like a refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. You seem to be saying the gates you purchased were not as described, therefore, you are entitled to a refund. If the supplier will not budge, give them a 14 day ultimatum and then sue them in the County Court for the full purchase price.